Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Drama from the department of Medicine + an 18 month-old

It comes in the form of a medicine dropper. The liquid changes from time to time, but it is usually Benadryl or Claratin...our poor allergy baby. This means we have to give him medicine twice a day and this has been going on for a good long while now. We have discovered two allergies so far...peanut and grass (what in the world! this boy is supposed to play soccer!)



These are the three reactions when get when it comes time to take the medicine:



A) He takes it fine a few times in a row...no problem and we cheer!


B) He's fussing a little and I threaten to sit on him...takes it fine and we cheer!

And then there is C, which he chose today...


C) He sees the dropper, he starts fussing and says no, I threaten to sit on him (no I don't actually sit on him, I am over him where I can pin his arms to his sides). The threatening does not work so I count to 3 and then I sit. This does not mean it's going to be easy, but it must be done (easier with two people of course, but I don't usually have that option...at least in the mornings). I slowly give him some medicine and he slowly or quite forcefully (depends on the day) tries to spit it out. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. After we finish the fight he's fine.


Gotta love the fact that toddlers are reaching for control on something.


Love ya'll!


Theresa

No comments: